Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Decision

A little about myself: I’m a lithe 5’10” with long blonde hair, fair skin and green eyes. As a blonde, I’m hyper sensitive to the notion that blondes are bubbly and dumb, especially since I've been climbing the career ladder at a ferocious pace. I loved being blonde, but didn't want to be discounted because of it. Attractive, thin, tall, blonde. In many ways, I define what many people love to hate.

"Being defined as a ‘blonde’ is not me", I would argue. I’m smart, ambitious, witty, and sharp. In an attempt to defy the 'blonde' stereotype, I've overcompensated. Therefore I became very serious, steely and matter-of-fact. But, the question remains- too serious, I wonder?

Despite my intent on defying the blonde stereotype, it had never occurred to me to go brunette, until last year in December 2006 when I saw Cameron Diaz transformed on the runway. Her flaxen locks were gone, and in place a deep dark brunette. Her blue eyes were rich, and the color was a perfect compliment.



I, myself, have fair skin and green eyes. While I’m not Cameron Diaz, I could see the possible transformation in front of me. Still, I am not spontaneous when it comes to my personal looks, and I knew that it would take some time in order for me to convince myself to take the plunge to something this drastic. I had dark blonde hair, in which I highlight into with multiple shades of blonde. My hair is very healthy for as much as I color it (of which I am proud of). But because my hair grows extremely fast, I was in to see my stylist every four weeks, thus making it very high maintenance. It was beginning to become a chore, and I would obsess over the slightest roots showing. I have a very demanding and high energy career- and for me to be forced to take time out was tough. I didn’t want to be that vain, but it was causing stress trying to block out a few hours once a month to get into the salon. I tried other solutions- I opted for an all over color a few years ago, back to my normal darker strawberry blonde shade. It was pretty, but I felt it a bit too plain Jane. It was nothing striking and kind of well…boring.



My stylist and I discussed it quite a few times over the past year. She had deep brunette hair that I coveted, and she held it over me so that I could get a sense of what it would look like up against my face. We discussed a guy friend of hers who after his own self reflection realized that he had never dated a blonde. Really? Were guys that black and white on hair color/type? Could I be a brunette? Would this become more life altering than I realized? I thought about it. My features were fair. Because I can’t tan to save my life, I would have airbrush tans throughout the summer, and then stay pale throughout the winter. Due to my penchant for wearing lots of black, many people from my hometown of Phoenix would ask if I was from New York. Designer-clad-black- wearing-blonde- not exactly beach blonde and sunny. So what am doing as a blonde when maybe, perhaps, it just doesn 't suit me?



Which brings me back to Cameron Diaz and December 2006. Sure, many celebrities looked fabulous with their new brunette locks. But Miss Diaz looked stunning. Leading up to December of 2008, I started quizzing all of my friends. I didn’t want anyone to think that I was doing something drastic out of some quarter life melt down/crisis or anything. To my surprise, I was met with very few dissenting comments. Two of my guy friends, whom were just extremely partial to blondes, felt that I should stay a blonde. I do look fine as a blonde, please don't get me wrong, but going brunette could perhaps be better. Everyone else was in complete agreement that I should go dark, very dark (no highlights) and definitely not light brown. Emboldened with confidence, I felt ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment